Common Questions About The Martial Arts and Fitness Programs We Offer
- Page 4
What if I need to pick up my child early or drop him/her off later?
Not a problem! Just give us a call at (610) 363-7575 or let us know at drop-off!
What options do you have for drop-off and pick-up times?
Full day summer camps run from 8 a.m. until 4 p.m. Full day students need to pack a lunch.
Half day summer camps run from 8 a.m. until 12 p.m.
We also have an early drop off option at 7 a.m. If you need this option, please check it when you complete the online registration form.
My child is a current Dragon Gym student. If should he/she attends summer camp, should he/she continue to attend regular classes as well?
Absolutely! If you’re looking for accelerated learning as well as the many other benefits yielded by martial arts training, you’ve found the perfect solution.
What can I expect my child to learn at the summer camps? Are they just fun and games, or do they include martial arts curriculum as well?
Our summer camps are packed full of fast-paced games designed to yield intellectual and physical stimulation. In addition, students also learn a martial arts curriculum. If your child attends at least two weeks of camp, they'll be eligible for accelerated belt promotion at the end of the second week.
What are the benefits of summer camp for my child’s development?
Here’s what we know. Skills deteriorate over time at a rate determined by the specified task, predicted by the individual’s original level of learning. Therefore, the method yielding the highest initial learning level leads to the highest level of skill retention over time.
But what are the effects of martial arts summer learning on your child’s social, physical, emotional, and cognitive development?
- Maintaining, increasing, and improving relationships with peers and instructors allows for social skill improvement, yielding increases in self-esteem, self-confidence, an improvement in focus, and more.
- Group play allows children to continue to grow with their peers, rather than being left behind.
- Continued development of spatial abilities.
- Martial arts skill retention.
- Healthy habits maintained and improved upon, allowing for steady upward arc in advancement and goal setting.
- Reinforcement of a time commitment and necessity of practice reminds students to follow through in their relationships, and the responsibilities to themselves and to others.
- Gives them the progressive environment they need to reinforce the skills they’re learning, which in turn strengthens their retention of academic knowledge.
- Boosts in intellectual stimulation.
- Prevents summer learning loss.
- Martial arts structure in goal setting and goal achievement carries over to goal-setting habits in other measures of learning, particularly academics.
- Self-defense learning is not at risk for mental decay.
In summation, summer camp is not about decreasing boredom. It’s about much, much more.
Why should I choose Dragon Gym’s Summer Camp?
- Scientifically proven strategies taught and implemented by qualified experts. The curriculum that drives our classes and summer camp program is built upon a foundation of child psychology. Each class is designed with an intricate knowledge and application of emotional, social, intellectual, and physical development in mind. This isn't just a martial arts program...It's a child development course.
- Excellent Instructors. One of the biggest pieces of feedback we get is about our instructors. The men, women & children of our community just can't get enough of their passion and enthusiasm. That's because martial arts isn't a “hobby” or something our instructors just “do on the weekends.” It's something they believe in. Something that's embedded into every area of their lives. All of our instructors are trained in working with children and tailoring lessons to their specific and individual needs. They're motivational, encouraging, supportive, and knowledgeable. Have a question about child development? A challenge in behavior at home or school? They've got you covered.
- The reviews say it all. Our five star reviews across the board from local families really do the work for us. Our programs are driven by referrals, and we take pride in knowing that our students and their families have recommend us to the ones they love for over 40 years, establishing us as a community staple dedicated to helping our students become better versions of themselves.
What should I bring/wear to class?
The number one DG accessory: water! Except for the classes that require a uniform, we suggest comfortable athletic attire. Shoes are not permitted on the gray mats but may be worn on the black mat. Should you have questions about specific questions about your particular class, just ask any instructor—or fellow student!
What do I want to get out of the Muay Thai program?
Sometimes the most important questions are those we ask ourselves. By determining your personal goals, and expressing them to us, you have the opportunity to be sure that our program is the right fit for you. So take a moment to discern your personal goal—be they regarding your fitness, your health, or your mental/emotional well-being—and use that introspection to your advantage to make sure you get everything out of our classes that you’re hoping for—and much, much more.
It seems like every one that trains Muay Thai is really young, am I too old?
No way! Our classes have a range of age groups. We teach teenagers all the way through students in their 60s. We can do this only because our program is technique and curriculum based, enabling us to tailor drills and workouts to your individual needs.
I want to sign up early. What should I do?
That’s great! All you have to do is give us a call to let us know and we’ll set an earlier appointment for you.