Sometimes, kids with learning or motor skill difficulties can have a hard time learning to tie their shoes. And, that can potentially diminish their self-confidence and self-esteem. Understood.org is a great resource site for parents and kids with ADD, ADHD or other learning and attention issues.
Symptoms of childhood ADD / ADHD can include inattention, hyperactivity and impulsivity. One way parents are helping their children is by having them train in an age-specific martial arts program. Kids Karate programs have also been shown to improve the motor and cognitive development in children.
As a result, a well structured martial arts program can also be great way to alleviate these symptoms and overcome the stress they cause.
What Martial Arts Can Offer Kids With Learning and Attention Issues:
- They focus on individual growth, not on team competition.
- They offer concrete, attainable goals.
- Routines are broken down into manageable chunks.
- They emphasize self-control and concentration.
- They can help with coordination.
- They provide structure and clear expectations for behavior.
- They can provide a safe outlet for excess energy.
- The environment is accepting and communal.
If you’re interested in learning more about martial arts for your child, give us a call at 610-363-7575 and we’d be happy to answer your questions and set you up with a free pre-evaluation and trial lesson if you like.