Dragon Gym Muay Thai kickboxing is a straight-up, no-nonsense, REAL martial arts program in Exton, PA, just minutes from West Chester and Downingtown. We training full-contact fighters, total beginners, and everyone in between. Students can expect to get a great workout, an understanding of striking fundamentals, and knowledgeable instruction from certified and field testing instructors
There are many different styles of kickboxing available; however, the most effective and devastating of them all is Muay Thai or Thai boxing. We offer classes six days a week at our Exton, Pennsylvania, location.
All of our students start the same way, with our Quick Start Program. It’s great for beginners with no prior experience. The quick start course includes both private and group instruction so that new students can try out the program in a suitable environment. One of the great things about this program is that it gives us a chance to evaluate your progress and abilities while giving you the opportunity to test drive classes, see the facility, meet the instructors, and learn about the benefits of Brazilian Jiu Jitsu training. Fill out the form on this page to contact us today about getting started and schedule that first lesson. Every journey starts with a single step….TAKE THAT STEP!
What You Will Learn
- Footwork. This is the most basic and important part of kickboxing. Learning how to move properly, to close distance, and to create distance is the essence of all martial arts.
- Punches. Whether it is a jab, cross, hook, or uppercut, you will learn the proper way to throw effective hand strikes with pinpoint accuracy.
- Kicks. This is the reason for the name “kickboxing.” High kicks, low kicks, and teeps (push kicks) are effective ways to create distance from an attacker and to easily neutralize the threat at the same time.
- Knees and elbows. This is what separates Muay Thai from everything else. No other martial art uses knees and elbows as effectively as Thai boxing.
- Clinch. When your opponent is too close to kick or punch, that’s when we use the world-famous “Thai clinch.” Pulling in your opponent and controlling his head, neck, and shoulders allows you to, in turn, control his whole body.
There are many more aspects of Thai boxing that students will experience that cannot be expressed in this brief space. You will learn more about yourself than you ever knew possible. Build friendships and experience true teamwork. It is often said that when a student discovers Muay Thai, he also discovers himself at the same time.
The Head Instructor
Master Lonnie Beck began his training at Dragon Gym in 1990 at the age of ten. Since then he has trained directly under Grandmaster Chae T. Goh and Master Somnath Sikdar in Tae Kwon Do and Hapkido and has earned the rank of Fifth Degree Black Belt. In addition to his traditional training, Master Lonnie has also trained extensively in Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu where he has earned the rank of Purple Belt in addition to his years of experience in Muay Thai kickboxing. He has also traveled to Thailand to train as a student at the exclusive Rawai Muay Thai Camp in Phuket.
Master Lonnie is the head instructor of Dragon Gym’s Early and Basic SKILLZ programs, Junior Black Belts, Junior Elite Instructor Program and the Dragon Gym Muay Thai Program. His passion for teaching is evident each and every class, and students can always expect to be welcomed into the group like family no matter the program they are interested in.