For many, Brazilian Jiu Jitsu is seen as the most intimidating martial art to learn. It has a pretty intense reputation from the “dojo storms” and “challenge matches” that are all over YouTube. It is closely associated with mixed martial arts, and many women feel it appears to be a male-dominated sport.
What you may not know is that Brazilian Jiu Jitsu derives from a martial arts call the “gentle way” or “gentle art.” Now, don’t be mistaken, Brazilian Jiu Jitsu is a contact-oriented and effective martial arts for self-defense, but it does not require physical strength or size to be effective.
Brazilian Jiu Jitsu was developed by the Gracie family and others in Brazil with three important tenets in mind:
- The techniques and system must be street applicable, meaning they can’t only be good for competition, they must be viable for self-defense.
- The techniques and system must be efficient, meaning jiu jitsu techniques don’t require immense strength or incredible speed to work.
- The techniques and system must follow natural and gross (as opposed to fine) body movements and motor patterns. This means you don’t have to be super-flexible. You won’t be required to contort your body or have the ability to recall strange and esoteric pressure points in order for your skills to be effective.
Brazilian Jiu Jitsu is all about approachability and practicality. Anyone can learn jiu jitsu—children, women, and men—and the training methodology will ensure that what you learn works.
At the Dragon Gym we have an optimal environment for beginners to learn Brazilian Jiu Jitsu. Our clean, safe, and fully matted facility is family-oriented. The instructors and students are welcoming and supportive as you start your martial arts journey. While many Brazilian Jiu Jitsu programs are male-dominated, our classes are just about 50-50 men and women due to our systematic and progressive approach to teaching.
What You Will Learn
- Brazilian Jiu Jitsu gi and no-gi techniques.
- Arm, joint, and leg locks.
- Ground fighting, ground defense, and submissions.
- Throws and takedowns.
- Practical self-defense as well as sport-oriented techniques.
You will learn to defend yourself, get in amazing shape, and become proficient in Brazilian Jiu Jitsu, but after a short time, you will see there is so much more to being part of our specialized program. Just read these words from one of our longtime students, Tyler:
“This place is one of a kind. The second you walk in the door they make you part of your family—and to be honest, it makes you never want to leave. The instructors are always encouraging their students and not only teaching them the ways of martial arts but they also teach you the discipline to be a better person. I cannot thank Dragon Gym enough for giving me the opportunity to make new friends, being around people who are always pumped up and happy, helping me lose weight, and just being a better person. I look forward to many, many more years at Dragon Gym!”
All of our students start the same way, with our Quick Start Program. It’s great for beginners with no prior experience. The quick start course includes both private and group instruction so that new students can try out the program in a suitable environment. One of the great things about this program is that it gives us a chance to evaluate your progress and abilities while giving you the opportunity to test drive classes, see the facility, meet the instructors, and learn about the benefits of Brazilian Jiu Jitsu training. Fill out the form on this page to contact us today about getting started and schedule that first lesson. Every journey starts with a single step….TAKE THAT STEP!