Introducing our Signature Pre-School Martial Arts Program!
Three to four year olds love physical activity and anything involving play. They have a rich imagination and strong desire to be less dependent on their usual caregivers.
The problem we discovered is that many children this age have a hard time with structure in a group environment like what is commonly found in most Martial Arts schools.
The solution we found is to provide them with their own program that targets their stage of development in a manner that keeps them entertained while at the same time building skills that set them up for success. With that said, a structured program introducing early skill-based training in Martial Arts has proven to be very successful.
Here's an overview for the stages of development of children ages 3 and 4:
- Physically- they typically have low tone and poor hand-eye-coordination. We expect them initially to drop their arms when punching and fall when kicking or jumping. We also expect them to have no concept of spatial awareness, therefore they will drop things that are thrown to them and bump into people and obstacles often. The goal for our program is to get them to punch without dropping their arms; kick without falling; jump without falling; and catch objects thrown from various directions and distances.
- Intellectually- they typically have a limited vocabulary therefore learning is normally limited to visual and kinesthetic activities. We expect them to initially lose focus when activities are over-complicated. We also expect them to struggle with commands that have more than two instructions. The goal for our program is to get them to follow verbal commands with no visual demonstration. Also, our goal is for them to remember rules and commands without being reminded. Cognitively- they are in what is called the "Preoperational Stage". This means that their thinking is still very egocentric and they have difficulty understanding the point of view of others. They also have trouble understanding concepts such as time, space, and quantity. The goal for our program is to help them develop an understanding of perspective.
- Emotionally- they typically have strong preferences and fears therefore they will normally act out of bounds when their emotions get out of control. We expect them to run off the mat when they have anxiety. We also expect them to shut down when something either scares them or doesn't go their way. The goal for our program is to help them follow directions and persevere through an activity even if they are initially emotional.
- Socially- they are typically very self-centered. Also, due to their limited vocabulary their common form of communication is mainly physical. We expect them to mock each other, such as falling when their classmate falls. We also expect them to crash into things when they are excited. The goals for our program are to help them build good social skills such as spatial awareness; not interrupting when others are talking; and taking turns properly. Since they are egocentric and self-centered. They typically want what they want and have difficulty understanding the feelings and desires of others. The goal for our program is to help them develop empathy and understand that other people have feelings too.
As you can see we take Martial Arts training to a whole new level! We use early elements of traditional Martial Arts curriculums to build skills that are appropriate for 3 and 4-year olds. This means that your child will learn and grow at a pace that is not too easy, nor too challenging.
Not only will they develop physically, but they will also develop cognitively, emotionally, and socially. All of these areas are important for success in school and in life.
The best part of Dragon Gym's Pre-School Martial Arts program will equip your child with skills that they will utilize in every area of their life!
Here's what to do next:
- Click the button below
- Get access to our class schedules and intro programs
- Call us for a free pre-evaluation or sign up for our Quick Start Confidence Course Online